Saturday, June 20, 2009

MUST SEW #1

Remember my first disastrous attempt at the Butterick 4699 (mid 1960's) for my Must Sew #1? I wasn't going to let this pattern get the better of me!


This is my second attempt....






I kind of butchered the pattern a little. Although I made the original dress according to my measurements, it was too big and sack like. So I took it in about 2cm in all off the width, lowered the neckline a little (about 1.5cm), so it didn't feel like it was choking me so much, and shortened the dress by 8cm (I felt the length was a little dowdy).

I thought when deciding what fabric to use, I could go for a cross between a coat and a dress. So I chose a pinwhale cord in black and faced hems and sleeves etc. with bias binding. Because it was cord, I had to make a side seam so that I could cut the pattern with the nap, instead of on the crosswise fold.

I have to say that this isn't my fondest adventure with vintage patterns. I will wear it though, and am on the lookout for a hot pink skivvy and matching tights to brighten up the black!

4 comments:

  1. I think the hot pink will look fabulous! What did you ever do without those yummy boots though? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will keep my eye open for your skivvy..My sewing book has arrived cant wait to show it to you. Are you going to get the first edition of Australian Homesewn (that spelling isn't right) it's out tomorrow. if i can find it i will get you a copy.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, I love that. It has such a modern feel to it. It also reminds me of Audrey Hepburn's smock in the beginning of "Funny Face", an outfit I keep meaning to copy. Maybe I'll look this pattern up. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so sharp. You look great in it. You know, while the hot pink would certainly look great the whole tonal thing you've got going on works really well too!

    ReplyDelete