Thursday, February 3, 2011

1965(ish) Shift Dress

I finished this dress last week but just haven't worn it until today.

The fabric is a little 'louder' than the clothes I normally wear so about half way through making it, I was still undecided as to whether I would like the finished product.



It was quite a hot day today and I felt really 'summery' wearing it and received some lovely compliments, so I guess I'll give it the 'thumbs up' then.


The pattern is Butterick 4127 and I think it's circa 1965.
I made View B but without the back neck ties because I decided to make a tie belt to bring it in at the waste for more shape (kinda defeats the purpose of a shift dress, hey!).
I didn't want dangly bits on the front and the back:)

The only adjustment I made was to put in an invisible zipper instead of a lapped version.

And eek! The fabric is so totally polyester! I don't know what I was thinking at the time but the fabric design just grabbed me when I saw it.....Thank goodness for air-conditioning!

I will probably make this again, but have a few other things I want to make first.

Have a great week!

5 comments:

  1. Completely perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOO very nice Jen and so are those shoes..yum..KL?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the blue floral theme that's emerging Jen!
    I'll show you a photo of my Mum wearing an almost-identical dress to a wedding in the 60s :)

    ReplyDelete